› About Barnstead
› Commissions & Committees
Work Exempt from Building Permits
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200sf.
- Fences not over 6 feet in height.
- Retaining Walls that are not over 4 feet in height (measure from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall) unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Sidewalk and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
- Painting, papering, tile, carpentry, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one and two family dwelling.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and does not require additional support.